CEO and Director of Consulting Services
Joe started his career in healthcare IT as a member of Epic’s Radiant and Cupid teams. After a stint at Epic, he left to join the National Decision Support Company (NDSC), the leaders in Radiology Clinical Decision Support. While there, he worked closely with Drs. Bettmann and Sistrom alongside the American College of Radiology on expanding the ACR Appropriate Use Criteria.
As one of the first people on the implementation team, he created and developed implementation processes and refined the implementation training and accompanying tools, still widely in use by NDSC today. This method of process improvement became integral to his work and he began to enter every project with 3 questions in mind:
- What doesn’t work at all?
- What could work better?
- What processes can we put in place to make these things work better?
As Joe continued in his career as a consultant, he realized the inefficiencies with the way the consulting world was working today. He set out to start a paradigm shift in the consulting industry and change the status quo!
The areas that Lumos Consulting is invested in making change are:
- Pay transparency – no longer should billable rates be secret and no longer should recruiters try to nickle and dime consultants for the hard work that they are providing
- Consultant Interaction – while consulting, Joe worked on projects where the he never heard from his firm after placement, and he worked on projects where he was required to attend weekly consultant meetings that had nothing to do with the job he was hired for. At Lumos we strive to find a balance between supporting our consultants unequivocally and no encumbering them with unnecessary processes
- Connectivity – as it stands today, when a new role is released, consulting firms squabble over it like a flock of seagulls. On top of that, recruiters go down their list to find the first 4 or 5 people available for a contract – not necessarily the most qualified or the best person for the role. Lumos aims to change this with Lumos Vault – a new way to connect hospitals and consultants!
His favorite Harry Potter character is Albus Dumbledore because, despite his immense power and his quiet confidence, he remains gentle and eternally kind.